Welcome



These are tried, tested and much loved recipes. Our families and friends are always unselfish and devote themselves to taste-testing these delicious creations and demand them repeatedly time and time again.

Our aim is to share with you our favourite meals and the little tricks and tips we have learnt along the way.
Time is precious.
Food is expensive.

Both are resources too valuable to waste.

We want to share recipes that deliver delicious, nourishing meals - making the most of your time and ingredients.

Life is way too short for bland, disappointing food.
So ... Feed your inner cook - and Enjoy!

Thursday 12 August 2021

Jelly Cake - Happy 90th Birthday Eric

This is how the story goes, my father is going to turn 90 this month. A wonderful and very special achievement.  He is don't forget, a Leo and so when he sent me a newspaper article on cake recipes I did not misinterpret the message that he would like a home baked cake.  Now as regular followers of FYIC will have noticed, baking is definitely not my strong point.  Colleen my fellow blogger has probably accounted for 90% of the recipes that get the tag "Baking".   So I did my best and chose what I thought was the easiest of the cake recipes he sent me.  It is a put everything in a bowl and mix recipe.  What could go wrong you say?  Well for starters the reference to "softened butter" I left it on the bench overnight but even in sub tropical Brisbane it is still cold enough not to get your butter soft enough to incorporate in a one bowl mix everything together. So why would a few lumps of butter in the mixture cause issue, surely they will melt in the oven. Yes they did but it took longer to cook the cake and the outsides were a little dry. (Maybe perfect for trifle).  Then added to the mix I got my 89 year old mother who suffers from Dementia to help me decorate it.  It was a heart warming experience and I am blessed to have them both in my life.


Ingredients

125g butter, softened

1/2 packet jelly crystals

1/2 cup caster sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup plain flour

Strawberries and whipped cream to decorate

Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Beat for 3 minutes using an electric mixer.

Bake in a greased loaf tin for 35-40 minutes

When cool turn out on to a wire rack.

When completely cold, decorate with cream and strawberries.


Happy 90th Birthday Dad 

Mamma Marmalade


















No comments:

Post a Comment